Sunday 10 June 2012

25 weeks, Maui and romance

We are just back from a fantastic week in Maui, Hawaii. The hotels, the beaches, the weather and the food were all amazing.


Sunset from the Serenity Pool
We decided to split the trip in two and spend 5 days in Wailea on the South West coast and 3 days in Hana to the East. Wailea is pretty much home to all the top resorts on Maui. We stayed at the Four Seasons which was wonderful. It's my first time staying at a 'resort' so to speak but was pretty impressed and I'm afraid that I will have very high expectations from hotels from now on. We were fortunate to get an upgrade to an ocean view room where we could watch sunsets every evening.

Big Beach
Wailea is on the dry part of the island, and approx 30 minutes away you can be walking on eerie lunar landscape, the lava remains of the last volcanic eruption on the island. Each day we would venture along the Western coast from Lahaina the old port or South to the amazing beaches such as Big Beach and Makena. One day we ventured on a scary road to North East- I would give this a miss as the best road is the road to Hana. Not so scary and the rainforest is much more spectacular.
Bean on the Beach
 Hana is the on the wet side of the island. It takes 2 hours to drive straight there, but if you stop at the many waterfalls, observation points, beaches on the way....it's more likely 4 hours. It's one of the most beautiful drives passing through the wonderful rainforest and it's delightful vegetation. Hana is real Maui, remote, tropical, lush and unspoilt. We stayed at the Traaverse which used to be the old Hana Maui hotel. The grounds are spectacular and quiet overlooking the Pacific. At night it took time for me to fall to sleep as the only sound was the waves crashing.
One of the many waterfalls along the road to Hana
Lava rocks on the way to Hana

Tranquility at the Traaverse in Hana
Oh and if you are to visit Maui, make sure you visit Mama's Fish House. It's at the start of the Hana Highway past Pa'ia. The best seafood experience I have had in a long time, maybe ever.  It was really special too as Joakim proposed to me on a quiet beach looking out at the ocean. It was a big surprise. No date set as the wee one is the priority for now but hopefully next Summer.


Before- totally unaware
Before- I am still unaware whilst taking this photo.  Jab asked me to come over and sit next to him facing the sea and that's where he proposed.
After- still teary but very very happy. 
My lovely.


I'm a very blessed girl.


Anyways back to the wonderful pregnancy (so far so good) and the search to where to give birth continues. Lots of options here.


Prior to Maui I did go to a meet and greet at St Lukes Hospital. St Lukes is known for it's natural approach to childbirth with one of the lowest rates for intervention and C sections. The meet and greet with the midwifes/ ob/gyn's was lovely, I liked them and their philosophy but I was slightly underwhelmed by the appearance of the maternity ward. Very dark, circa 1970's furniture, dirty windows (hiding a wonderful view of SF) to the empty beds. There was not one person delivering in the ward. Very strange. So I am in doubt about registering there.


In the meantime I'm scheduled to view CPMC (California Pacific Medical Center) on Monday, so fingers crossed.


Last week I visited my OB/GYN but decided to see another doctor other than Dr Callan at the practice. That way I get to know all of them as you never know who will be on call when I go into labour! All was good. A strong healthy heart beat. I also had to do a glucose tolerance test. The test is to see whether you have diabetes and also anemia which can develop during pregnancy. You have 5 minutes to drink a small bottle of sweet solution, you wait an hour and then the nurse draws blood from you. Fingers crossed all is good with the test results. Oh and I was weighed, I'm at 139lbs/ 63kgs. The nurse actually said 'wow'. So far I've put on a healthy 24lbs/9kilos.


I've also signed up for Childbirth Classes after much review searching online. I've opted for Carmel Blue in North Beach. I had thought about joining Natural Resources as recommended by my Doula and Yoga instructor but the girl there was so unwelcoming and rude that I decided to look elsewhere. The classes aren't till August so hopefully the baby doesn't decide to come to early, one wants to be prepared!


This weekend we have ventured to many baby supply stores. My favourite being Aldea Ninos in The Mission- most of the furniture there is all sustainable plus they have great practical designs. It's good to lookaround though so also popped into Sprout on Union and Buy Buy Baby over near Walnut Creek.


Anyways I'm now filling in a Nanny request form! "Already?" you ask. Well those mum to be's are very organised here plus nannies and day care are thin on the ground.


That's it for now.  Oh except I have to share our touristy photo from Maui.











No comments: