Friday 29 June 2012

27 + 28 weeks on the final stretch (literally)

The weeks are going by really fast. I'm in my 3rd trimester with 12 weeks to go and the reality that I am carrying a baby inside of me (that will be soon outside of me) and that we live on the other side of the globe is making me a little anxious. I have to be honest it's overwhelming. I'm trying to not look so far down the line, but as we have few friends here and no family I have been wondering what life would be like once the wee one is here, it's quite daunting but one can't feel sorry for yourself, just good to get out and meet people.


I've joined a meetup of new mums that are expecting in Fall which is great. Just nice to have the support of expectant mums who are going through the same thing. I never thought I would be one of those pregnant women who would surround herself with other pregnant women, but it is the support I need here without so many close friends and family. We meet twice a month and a few of us have formed a break out group so to speak so we can touch base more often. 


Thinking past the birth, I went to a class on Saturday at Carmel Blue about how to calm a crying baby. We learnt the teachings of Dr Harvey Karp. Pretty handy. There are 5 S's. I've promptly ordered the DVD for Jab to watch. Take note.


1. Swaddling- pretty explanatory
2. Sucking- dummy or breast
3. Stomach/ Side- laying the baby on it's side or stomach in your arms
4. White noise (shhhing). My friend Mia vouched that the hairdryer or the vacuum cleaner put her wee one to sleep
5. Swing


I've also signed up for daycare. Although we aren't sure a. will I go back to work b. will we go with a nanny or c. need daycare. Essentially I've registered for daycare close by as the waiting list can be long, one centre in my neighbourhood has a waiting list of 18 months! I've registered for Bright Horizons so at least we have that as an option in case we need to put the wee one in Day Care when I have to go back to work after 4 months. They offer a Montessori approach which I've always been interested in although day care at 4 months....... I'm really not sure right now. Seems so young so I'm also exploring a nanny. I'm meeting a lady who organises finding the right nanny in a couple of weeks. Let's see, it's good to explore all options.


Bean is growing. My next appointment isn't with the doc till next week so not sure whether he/ she's growth is on track, but I feel like he/she is definitely growing and lots more movement in the past few weeks. I'm now at 140llbs/ 63kg. Which is 26lbs/ 12kg heavier than pre-pregnancy. Oh and minor detail, but fun, my belly button which was a deep set inny is now half way to being an outie. 


I think from next week I'll start to update you on all the beautiful products out there. So much to chose from. I've compiled a pretty comprehensive list of essentials that we can start to purchase once Jab is back from holidays. Exciting. 


27 weeks


27 weeks, oh yeah!





No comments: