Sunday 11 July 2010

Vooges***


Vooges is one of my favourite, reliable, relaxed restaurants that I used to frequent monthly when I had a tiny little flat on the corner of Utrechtsestraat and Keizersgracht in 2006. My boyfriend's Mother and Aunt were in town so after a walk around the Grachtengordel we decided it would be good to go to Vooges for some relaxed, Dutch fayre. Vooges doesn't take bookings (well didn't used to) but on this particular night, the restaurant was half full, maybe as the back courtyard was open. We opted to sit in the lovely rounded window table looking over the quiet Utrechtsestraat. Utrechtsestraat is really quiet at the moment as there has been work on the bridge on the Singel, so the road is closed to traffic. During the Summer all the restaurants have been allowed to put their tables and chairs on the pavement and go all Alfresco. Nice! I digress let me get back to Vooges.


Vooges has been given something of a a renovation and is now all stripped down and minimal. I'm not a fan so much of the decor, but I am a big big fan of the food. The menu starts with a choice from lightly fried seafood to canneloni to fishcakes. We decided to all share a few starters of tempura prawns and the selection of fried seafood. All were a wonderful surprise- just light and fresh with a slightly spicy sauce. Accompanied by a bottle of Malbec and Argentina on the TV (it was the World Cup remember). Just perfect. For mains Aunt and Mum decided on the fish of the day- Dorade (Bream)- it looked amazing and from their umm's and aah's I think I can say without any hesitation, that their food hit top marks on taste too.  I went for the lamb, beautifully presented, the meat was tender, but the sauce was a little bland. J went for the chicken that was again seemed to get top marks from him.
 
It was a perfect evening, perfect company, perfect venue, perfect service and perfect food (and Argentina won!)


Vooges, I am sorry that I hadn't been for a while. I will be back again for sure.


http://www.vooges.nl/vooges_amsterdam/index.php

Vooges 

Utrechtsestraat 51 

1017 VJ Amsterdam

Telefoon 020 - 330 56 70

No comments: