Sunday 11 July 2010

Cafe George**

Wow, this month has been a festival of football as well as food, so all has been a tad busy. As well as changes ahead on the work front. All will be revealed soon.

I have a few reviews to come from Amsterdam, to Cannes, to Cornwall then back to Amsterdam. First off is Cafe George. Cafe George is a bistro type restaurant just off the busy Liedesplein on the very quiet Leidsegracht 84. I often head there for lunch during the week and rarely notice how expensive the menu is for what you get e.g. terrible service and average food, until I put my review head on.

This particular lunchtime, I headed over on a beautiful June day with 2 American colleagues. We decided to sit in the cool of the inside of what was a very quiet restaurant (see picture empty). There were no smiles from the waitresses, just the typical 'we can only do one thing at a time as a Dutch waitress rather than multi-tasking and doing what you would expect from a waitress anywhere else in the world'. This is a big gripe of mine.

I went for a safe bet the Salade Nicoise with a side of 'french' fries, whilst Miss E asked for a steak - but apparently the meat was bad today (good sign) so they decided to take it off the menu (good idea) so went for the Nicoise too, Mr T went for a burger at 14 Euros- Yes that's 14 Euros for a burger! After 45 minutes wait, with all of 8 customers, our food arrived. All was ok. Nothing special. There's nothing more I can say about the service, because there was no service from putting the plate on the table, till me swiping my card through the PIN machine.

If Cafe George sped the kitchen up, upped the standard of food for the price and stopped employing stuck up waitresses, then I'm sure my opinion might change, but the next time my colleagues ask whether I'd like to go to Cafe George, I wish I had other lunch places in Amsterdam where you can get good food within the hour. I know I will be going back but will try and take off my review head next time.

http://www.cafegeorge.nl/

No comments: