Saturday 3 April 2010

Mar Blau-Gem of a restaurant on the Costa Brava***

RESTAURANT MAR BLAU

Last weekend I was down in one of the most beautiful parts of Spain- Cervia de Ter near the Costa Brava
. The circumstances for our trip were sad as it was my boyfriend's father's memorial. Friends and family from Argentina, Sweden, the US and other countries, who had known Mikael Borgstrom well, all travelled to this wonderful place to celebrate his life over the weekend. And how his life was celebrated. Each day was seasoned with amazing Catalan food.

On the Saturday we all went down to Restaurant Mar Blau near Pals. Mar Blau is situated right on the beach. It might not look anything special from the outside with it's plastic chairs but this restaurant, after 3 visits, has yet to disappoint. There must of been well over 20 of us who mmm'd and wow'd our way through a range of seafood starters that included mussels in tomato sauce, fried calamari, fried pulpo, jamon, and more. Absolutely delicious, even the bread. An American friend at the table mentioned that you would not be able to find bread so tasty in the States, it was fresh and just perfect for absorbing the wonderful juices.

After wolving down faces the wonderful entrees, no one had warned me that next came Paella.
Not just one Paella but three huge dishes for us all. Although I asked for a smaller portion, the waiter was having none of it. Although everything tasted wonderful on my plate, to the dismay of the waiter I could only eat my way through half of the perfect saffron infused rice with pieces of fish with a topping of freshly caught langoustine.

The wine I'm afraid to say was not all that good, but hey it was lunchtime in the sun, so fortunately that was a good thing. For dessert there was a selection of Catalan favourites including Creme Catalan, which I didn't rate, I have had much better. Although, you don't go to this restaurant for dessert, you go to be right near the Mediteranean eating seafood that could of just jumped on your plate. Amazing. I can't wait to go back.

Food: ****

Service: ***

Mar Blau
Pals Beach (the one with white chairs and tables) Tel: (972) 63 60 79

No comments: