Friday 19 March 2010

MAMA SHELTER-MAMA’s GOT IT GOING ON****


Restaurant Mama’s Shelter

I had heard good things about Mama Shelter from a producer friend of mine. I was through in Paris working on post on a Nike film that will be launched in a couple of weeks. It was pretty intense working with the French post co so producer friend and I decided to head to Mama Shelter on the Wednesday night.

The restaurant is part of the Phillip Starck designed MAMA SHELTER hotel. I was imagining minimalism, but instead was nicely surprised by the eclectic interior. All stylishly put together but in a homely way. With a chalk board ceiling, video walls, photo montages, comfy sofas, dim lights, fussball table but for the occasional reading light on an Eiffel Tower which was the only signs that you were in Paris. The restaurant and bar area were almost full. It's a popular place with a mix of clientele both young and old, including children and a dog.


The waiters and waitresses are friendly and efficient. The menu is French influenced but modern. For starters I shared a couple of slices of Foie Gras with toast. Both perfect. To follow a small chicken with a light jus. I’m not sure what it was called in French, it sounded more exotic than a ‘small chicken’ but it was one mean sized chicken. Cooked perfectly moist and delicious. I think I only managed a third of the chicken as it was just so big.

It had been a long day at work so had to leave around 10.30pm for sleep. I would of stayed longer. I loved this place, it's a little way of town, but it's well worth travelling the distance.

http://www.mamashelter.com/
109 rue de Bagnolet in the 20th district of Paris

Service: *****
Food: ****

No comments: