Thursday 14 April 2011

Calistoga- Wine Country

I have just returned from a beautiful part of California.....Calistoga.  Calistoga is only 90 minutes drive from San Francisco and you are in another world. It's laid back and approx 5 degrees centigrade warmer than downtown SF.Calistoga is home to natural volcanic hot springs, 500 years ago the  Wappo Indian tribe made Calistoga their home but it's now home to spas, fine restaurants and wineries.  My idea of bliss.  A perfect place to celebrate a friends bachelorette. We stayed at the Indian Springs Spa & Resort. It was dark when we arrived but all would be revealed in the morning. Indian Springs offers authentic mud baths, which I wish I could of taken my iPhone into to share photos. It's another world. http://www.indianspringscalistoga.com/

On the first evening we all went to a Nole. This is what the San Franciscans call a Farm to Table restaurant. Although I find that phrase peculiar when there is octupus and scallops on the menu. Maybe means organic or freshly sourced. I googled but couldn't find an exact definition. Anyways I digress. Nole is a part of a hotel. On a Friday evening Jole was almost full, but our reservation was for 8.45 so maybe we were the last to show. (Something to note- San Franciscans dine really early e.g. from 5.30pm). As we were a group of 9 we decided to share a mix of starters followed mains/ entrees. Of note was the Gnocchi with Chilli, Broccoli and Garlic. Fresh with a perfect kick. Another was the neck of lamb. So so tender. Everything was beautifully presented. I should also mention the wine. Jole has new and old world as well as a selection of reserve. You can also try a pairing menu with a 4, 5 or 6 course tasting menu. Next time I will try that. http://jolerestaurant.com/


The next day (after many wines the night before) most of the group relaxed by the Olympic size hot mineral pool. This is amazing. All pools need to be this size and warmth. Worried that you don't have the effort to swim? Fear not, there are lots of floating beds to lie on. 


Mid-afternoon a few of us ventured off on our low rider bikes (courtesy of the resort) down the main road to a winery for a quick tasting then it was a early dinner at Solbar. Solbar is at Solage resort, approx 10 mins bike ride from Calistoga. The interior design is furnished by Cherner. I now want Cherner chairs. They are elegant and comfortable, I am obsessed. http://www.chernerchair.com/index.php


Back to Solbar, there was a little irritation with the matre'd when we arrived who seemed quite insistant that we get to our table at 5.30pm but other than him, the service at Solbar is amazing. The food, just perfect. It's been a long time since I tasted good, tasty, simple, elegant, fresh food. The menu offers healthy but also hearty dishes. For starters I chose the asparagus with house-smoked salmon, creme fraiche, horseradish and finely sliced buckwheat crepes. I loved the kick of the horseradish. For main I went with the halibut. I can still see the whiteness of the delicate flakes of fish. Again amazing. The only let down for me was dessert. The experience was going so well that I pushed myself to order dessert. Something I rarely do and opted for the cheesecake which should of been described on the menu as 3 spoonfuls of cheesecake like mousse served on biscuits. It wasn't quite what I expected and after offering it to my fellow diners, there were no takers.



Solbar apparently has a Michelin star but lacks any formality of a Michelin star restaurant I have been to before. There was a bustle and a vibrancy. People everywhere were enjoying their Solbar experience, so were we. All 10 if us. I will definitely be back. http://solbarnv.com/


No comments: