Wednesday 14 April 2010

Restaurant Toscanini****

My ex American boss was in town and so we wrangled up some friends and reserved Toscanini. Little did I know that it was ex boss' favourite restaurant in town, bonus. Toscanini is one of the best Italian restaurants in Amsterdam, if not the best. Open since 1985, Toscanini serves up fresh home-made pastas, where they can organic, rustic Tuscan meats, fresh fish of the day and Italian bread from the restaurants own bakery. Don't expect pizza.

It had been a while since my last visit, I think back in 2008 I had OD'd on the  delights of this restaurant and had decided to stay away for a while so that I would be enthused again.

My love for Toscanini hadn't died. On arriving you are promptly greeted by the front of house. All was a little confusing for her as on arrival there was my ex ex French boss with another group of colleagues from work. When the ex American boss arrived to see ex ex French boss all were quite bemused. Amsterdam is a village sometimes. So after much confusion of who was with which group we were taken to our table at the centre of the restaurant near the open kitchen. Toscanini is always full, so take heed and make sure you book a few days beforehand.

For starters I ordered a antipasto misto for the group. A mixed platter of grilled vegetables, stuffed artichoke, mozzerella, asparagus and sweet bread with a generous helping of bread and fine olive oil. Heaven. Although I wasn't so sure about the pickled herring.

The wine list consists of authentic Italian wines from regions located north to south of Italy. The guys went for a bottle of Barbera and my Aussie friend and I went for a bottle of Gavi “Minaia”.

The service in Toscanini is exceptional for Amsterdam, quick, efficient, with a sense of humour, smart and knowledgeable about the food and the wine list.
For main I opted for a daily special of rabbit, my fellow diners all finished their diverse plates from pasta with sage, grilled Grupa to a classic Lasagne.

There really should of been no more room for dessert but whilst in culinary heaven we couldn't say no. I polished off a delicate tiramasu and a glass of limonchello. Bellismo.

Food: 4 stars
Service: 5 fantastic stars

Restaurant Toscanini
Lindengracht 75
1052 KD Amsterdam

Voor reserveringen:
020-6232813


http://www.diningcity.com/amsterdam/toscanini/start.html 

No comments: